February 21, 2014
- fixed scrolling bug that caused new messages to not be visible
- sound messages now have .gif support for their associated images
January 10, 2014
- minor UI fixes
- fixed incorrect .NET bootstrap dependency - it will now install the correct .NET 4 framework if it is not already installed.
December 23, 2013
- fixed an issue that caused the app to crash on startup when fieryjoy.com was down for maintenance
December 20, 2013
- fixed an issue with the position of the main window on startup; if Smores starts up and isn't inside the bounds of any of your monitors it will now reposition itself inside your main monitor.
- fixed a nagging crasher when Smores gets disconnected from the network - I have finally conquered it!
December 12, 2013
- .gifs now only play when you hover over them. The reason for this is that .gifs can consume a lot of memory and there can possibly be many on the screen at the same time. So to prevent the dreaded Out of Memory exception which a few have experienced this week already, there will only be one .gif playing at a time now.
December 8, 2013
- added .gif support
- added new icons
- modified light and dark theme to be more flat looking
- added a new settings page and moved settings out of the main menu
- fixed a bug that caused a hidden docked window to not show any hint of its existence
November 14, 2013
- fixed an issue with proxy server authentication
October 16, 2013
- fixed a crash caused when Windows comes out of standby and reconnects to the internet
October 8, 2013
If you have not purchased a license for Smores yet, you will notice that I have implemented a 30 day trail period for Smores. I did this mainly because I would like to support Smores long term and I am sure that all of you would like me to as well! If I am going to do so I need more people purchasing licenses. Currently a small percentage of Smores users are actually paying for a license and I hope that the trial period will help motivate the others. It costs money to host the site as well as purchase the Code signing certificates that Microsoft strongly encourages (requires) on Windows 8. And not to mention the time it takes to push out bug fixes and new features! I hope that you will all understand and help support Smores future by purchasing a license. Thanks!
And for all of you that have purchased a license, THANK YOU! :)
- If you lose your connection, Smores will now do a better job refreshing your active rooms so that you don't miss any messages!
- News Feed that shows recent messages from all active rooms
- Added trial period notification
- Fixed: docking issues for high dpi screens
July 30, 2013
- bug fixes
June 17, 2013
- Added text to speech option for new messages - why you may ask? why not!
- Added timestamp to user status
- Fixed images not showing up for image hyperlinks
May 2, 2013
- improved performance when switching between rooms (there is more to be done, but this should help)
- increase max height of post box
- limit height of images with the ability to toggle full size by clicking on the image
April 8, 2013
- fixed a number of bugs that were causing crashes
Mar 12, 2013
- added: tab-complete names w/o using '@'
- added: supply a custom sound or use system sounds for custom notifications
- fixed custom notification highlighting - it actually works now!
- fixed crash when posting message after connection to internet goes down or the connection fails
- fixed issue with images not being displayed
- fixed: sort users when a new user is added after the initial room load
- fixed a bunch of user status bugs in both server and client
- fixed: media is now attached below grouped messages for more space
- fixed a few more rare crashers thanks to the new crash report service I added in the last release!
Mar 2, 2013
- Added crash reporting (don't worry I only send up the error message and stack trace)
- Fixed some bugs with the status service not reporting the correct status on startup
Feb 11, 2013
- Fix for a few more crashers that showed up when hovering over the taskbar icon and when changing rooms
Feb 8, 2013
- Fix for new users crashing on startup
Feb 5, 2013
- update signalr client and server from alpha to rc2
- flash taskbar icon only 3 times now instead of forever... when option is enabled
- use win7/8 taskbar icon overlay feature to display a notification for the number of unread messages
- use win7/8 taskbar preview thumbnail to display the last incoming message
- fix crasher and some theme specific bugs
- fix timestamp bug when posting
Jan 9, 2013
Well, this is one of the bigger updates I have released in a while. The biggest change I made is in grouping messages from the same user. To do this I had to rewrite all my view code! I have tested it the best that I can, so please forgive me for any regressions that I have introduced!
Also, a Smores exclusive feature that I have added is a user status service. The Smores client will now report when you are idle (no activity after a few minutes), away from your machine (locked), or active to a Smores server which will then notify other Smores clients of your status. This feature can be turned off by unchecking it in your menu. I implemented this feature because many of my coworkers are on Windows boxes and most importantly, I thought it would be fun! It also gave me an opportunity to play around with SignalR, an awesome new real time web framework for .NET.
You will also noticed that I added the "Pay what it's worth to you" link. Smores has cost me a few hundred dollars already and will continue to cost about $100/year to maintain. This is my way of attempting to get back some of that money and hopefully buy a cup of coffee or two! You can continue to use it for free and that's just fine. However, if Smores has improved your experience with Campfire and you would like to see the project continue and remain available for download, then I would encourage you to make a payment of your choosing. Once you make a payment you will get a code to make the payment reminder go away!
- replay sounds by clicking on audio icon
- user status (Smores users only)
- group messages from the same user!
Dec 3, 2012
Lots of new goodies in time for Christmas!
One big thing to note is that I have bought a cert to sign Smores. This has one big drawback for an already deployed app, it might break the restart after the update... you will notice that you get an error after updating the app and then trying to restart. Bummer! Just dismiss the error and restart manually. It should work like normal!
I hope you enjoy all the new improvements! Thanks for your feedback and support! As always, if you find any issues go to smores.uservoice.com, click Contact Support and create a new support ticket.
- added multiple accounts support; you can now add as many campfire accounts as you want!
- added new get token with username/password feature! (I DO NOT store your password! It is sent via SSL to campfirenow.com to aquire your token and then removed from memory)
- added option to hide/show parsed url images
- fixed a bug where upload images wouldn't display correctly if two uploads had the same file name
- added option to reenter all rooms on startup that were open when you last closed the app!
- added user count to non-active rooms in rooms list
Oct 1, 2012
- using Growl for Windows if it is found running locally for popup notifications
- fix for crashes due to bad image metadata
- delay loading autocomplete popup which improves performance when typing autocomplete characters
- fixed multi-monitor issue
Oct 1, 2012
Haven't had much time to work on Smores lately, but have managed to do a little here and there the last couple months.
The big feature here is custom notifications! I would love to hear your input on this feature as well as how it could be expanded/improved! Enjoy!
- Custom Notifications! - Well at least a start, you can check it out for yourself by hitting F5!
- Re-designed the room info popup - hope you like it!
- a few other minor UI tweaks
- removed crash reporting feature that didn't work anyway...
July 25, 2012
Lots of little goodies in this one...
- ability to change Name and Topic of room
- added setting for making main window always on top
- upload files async and show progress
- fix weird docking issue caused by multiple instances of the app being open
- Smores is now a single instance app, it was never really "safe" to have multiple instances anyways...
- the app now scrolls to and highlights a message when navigating from a search result
- added option to auto send crash data (don't worry, I only send stack traces and general app logging... you can see for yourself what gets sent in your %localappdata%/Smores directory). Please keep this option enabled as it is very helpful when things go horribly wrong, thanks!
July 18, 2012
Another update! Not much to say this time, got a couple user requested features in this one! Thanks again for the feedback, it really does make a difference!
Now that I think about it, I do have one note to make, I have removed the Add-Ins feature which was my initial attempt at custom notifications. I am still planning on implementing custom notifications, but I wanted to kill the existing feature to avoid any future confusion. Add-ins wasn't very useful anyway, so I doubt it will be missed!
- have an option to show avatars with messages
- removed paste link
- using mono-space font for paste messages
- added option for highlighting new messages as an animated visual cue
- minor UI tweaks
- removed beta Add-ins feature
July 11, 2012
While the wife and kids are away for a few days, daddy will play! =)
I have a few new updates for you all that I think you might like! The biggest ones you will notice are the extra room controls such as lock/unlock and guest access! The other one is a rather sad one for me... I tried hard to support .gif images, but .gif support sux in .NET land... so I am pulling my efforts to animate them and just rendering the first frame.
- update room topic when a topicchange message comes in
- leave room if room has been left in another place...
- lock/unlock room
- turn of/off guest access
- remove all .gif support and only show the first frame (which is default for .gif handling in WPF...)
- fixed a bug that caused messages to still stream after you left a room... woops! This also fixed a related memory leak...
- fixed themes to be more consistent
- fixed annoying popup notification display issue with with some themes
July 10, 2012
I have listened to your requests! Thanks for sending in your suggestions! I love feedback on the app, because none of us is as dumb as all of us! ;)
One of the new features, that might be a little strange, is the UI change for room selection. I mostly use the app docked which means the width of the app is small and I have about 7 rooms available; so it makes sense to use a drop down style box for room selection. But apparently some people like their window wider and want to see all of their rooms in a tab format! So, I have experimented with a compromise that I hope will make everyone happy, if it doesn't let me know how you would like me to tweak it. I am now using a "smart UI" that will do the following: if you have 2 or fewer rooms, you will always see the tab style selection, if you have more than 2 rooms AND the app window is about the same width as it is docked, then you will see the drop down style selection.
- upload images copied to clipboard to the current room (Ctrl+Alt+V)
- using smarter UI for displaying/selecting rooms - UI changes based on number of available rooms and size of the window
- added keyboard shortcuts for docking feature
- minor bug/UI fixes
June 27, 2012
Small update this time, mostly I made some changes to the way Smores updates itself. Instead of checking for updates before the app starts, it checks after. It will then give you the option to restart after an update is detected and installed. If you don't want Smores to auto-download new updates there is an option under the Main menu -> Help.
- added a new message sound notification option that you can toggle on/off.
June 23, 2012
Lots of little stuff in this update. Fixed a few little UI issues and prevented some future bugs by future proofing Smores. I also did a huge refactor that will allow me to support multiple accounts. So if I introduced some regressions, I apologize! Please let me know if you notice any odd behavior! Enjoy!
- fixed bug that caused the room messages to not scroll when posting your own messages
- make sure app is more future proof... (new message kinds, new sounds), previously Smores would have crashed if a new message kind was introduced. Also if a new sound is supported by Campfire, you can still have Smores post and play the sound even if Smores doesn't know about it.
- using a darker gear image so it doesn't look washed out in lighter themes
- added 3 more themes
- fixed a few theme issues
- dont animate soundmessages gifs since we can't do it right...
- new message count appended to room name
- support vimeo urls
- activate Smores and open room when clicking on new message notification
June 18, 2012
When contemplating the versioning of Smores, I came to the conclusion that, as a user, I don't care what version I am using...
I think being a Google Chrome user has made me accustomed to always having the latest greatest version. What version are they on again? I don't even remember... All I know is that as a user, I just want the latest stuff! Even better, don't interrupt my experience with an update... I want it to just work!
So that will be my approach here with Smores. I am using ClickOnce deployment, which out of the box interrupts your app startup experience. But as I build out the app I will hopefully be moving more towards an "I always have the latest version approach"...
And if you are one that really cares about the latest greatest goodness in the last update, I make this "Smores log" available to you! I will most likely tweet about updates as well and reference the relevant update notes. Enjoy!
- focus search text box when view is displayed
- presence messages show up as notifications if they are not ignored
- fix scrolling issues
- make sure to scroll on new message
- fixed text file preview when file was shorter than max preview length
- add link to fieryjoy.com/smores and uservoice in menu
- add user-agent header to all requests
- exit app w/o leaving rooms option